At the Directorate of Quality Assurance, we constantly remind ourselves of our position as a sub-system of the bigger University of Nairobi system. Accordingly, we focus ourselves to the common vision of the University of Nairobi, which is:
A world-class university committed to scholarly excellence
And in seeking to get to this common vision, what we want to do is shaped by what The University of Nairobi wants to do as spelt out in its mission statement, which is:
To provide quality university education and training and to embody the aspirations of the Kenyan people and the global community through creation, preservation, integration, transmission and utilization of knowledge
The mandate of the directorate, as a sub-system of the University, has been carefully derived from this mission. In carrying out this mandate, actions of the directorate personnel are shaped by “what we are allowed to do” element of the context. This is embodied in the University of Nairobi Core Values:
- Freedom of thought and expression: We shall promote and defend freedom of thought and expression in all our academic inquiry and activities.
- Innovativeness: We shall be innovative in meeting our Mission.
- Commitment: We are committed to the mission of the University and always act in the best interests of the University.
- Trust: We trust the good intentions of others, view conflicts as positive and resolve them creatively and effectively to meet the vision and mission of the University.
- Care: We foster a leadership culture that cares, is people-focused, that connects to and is responsive to the needs of internal and external customers, and promotes stewardship over University resources.
- Teamwork: We work together as a team to realize the collective results that the University wishes to achieve.